Who May Apply
The Shelby County clerk is now issuing disabled person's placards at all locations. Tennessee resident drivers and passengers confined to a wheelchair, those able to walk only with difficulty or uncertainty, or those with vision of not more than 20 / 200 with corrective lenses may apply for disability placards.
Temporarily disabled person placards are also available for those with a temporarily disabling condition. Temporary placards are issued for a six-month period and may be renewed one time.
Note: Placards are personal to the disabled driver or passenger and may be used in any vehicle in which the disabled person is riding or driving.
Tennessee Disability Pathfinder
To receive a disabled placard for the first time, the customer must have a completed Disabled Persons License Plate and/or Placard Application. The applicant must complete the top portion, and sign and date the form. The lower portion must be completed by a medical physician or Christian Science practitioner. Present the completed application at any Shelby County Clerk's Office location to receive your handicapped placard.
The renewal notice has a section for your doctor to complete. We provide a fillable form. You can fill it out in your browser, print it, and take it to a Shelby County Clerk's Office.
Costs related to disabled placards are as follows:
- General permanently disabled placards (expires every two years) - $21.50
- Permanently disabled placards for those confined to a wheelchair (expires every two years) - Free
- Renewal of permanently disabled placards - $3
- Renewal of temporarily disabled placards - $10
- Replacement for lost placard - $2
- Temporarily disabled placards - $10