Janet L. Shipman
814 Jefferson Ave.
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
All of us at the Memphis and Shelby County Health Department believe that we can make a difference as we strive to become the healthiest and safest community in Tennessee. Our mission is to promote, protect, and improve the health and environment of all Shelby County residents.
Unlike the personal health care system, which focuses on individuals, our focus is on the health of all people in this community. We place special emphasis on:
The Division of Health Services serves both the City of Memphis
and Shelby County government to promote public health practices that safeguard and improve the quality of life for approximately 900,000 residents of Shelby County.
With the support of dedicated and skilled public health employees, the Memphis and Shelby County Health Department is committed to:
- Closing the gaps in health status and access to care among our community's diverse populations
- Fostering current and building additional partnerships with local health agencies, public and private agencies, community-based coalitions, providers, consumers, educational / academic institutions, and other interested groups
- Improving the quality and cultural sensitivity of the health-related operations, services, and programs
- Providing leadership in effort to reform health care into a coordinated, accountable, and affordable system that emphasizes access to appropriate preventive measures and high-quality services
- Reducing the occurrence of preventable disease and premature death among all Shelby County residents
We look forward to providing information on current health issues affecting our community and invite you to browse our website and learn more about Memphis and Shelby County Health Department.