LOSB and MWBE Programs
Supporting Area Development
Shelby County Government believes that a successful community is one where all levels of society and business are given equal opportunity to enjoy economic success and prosperity. Shelby County Government believes that locally owned small businesses and minority/women business enterprises represent a major part of our business community and offer a wide variety of products and services needed by the county. When the county utilizes this segment of the community through its Purchasing Department, it enriches the owners, employees, and families of these businesses and the community as a whole with success and prosperity.
How the Programs Work
Locally Owned Small Business Program (LOSB)
Locally Owned Small Business Ordinance
Locally owned small business subcontractors who have been certified by the Shelby County Equal Opportunity Compliance (EOC) office are urged to consider same in compilation of their bid.
For informational purposes, the county considers a locally owned small business to be one which:
- Is a sole proprietorship, corporation, partnership, joint venture, or any other business or professional entity that has gross annual sales of $1 million or less during the last three fiscal years except: architecture and engineering firms, securities companies, computer companies, roofing and contractors and vendors in the construction industry. Any architecture and engineering firm , roofing and contractors and vendors in the construction industry with average annual total sales or receipts within its last three fiscal years prior to its application to the Locally Owned Small Business Purchasing Program of less than $5,000,000 a year; Any securities company or computer company with average annual total sales or receipts within its last three fiscal years prior to its application to the Locally Owned Small Business Purchasing Program of less than $15,000,000 a year.
- At least 51% owned, operated, and controlled by a Shelby County resident and located within the boundaries of Shelby County, Tennessee
Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) and Women Business Enterprise (WBE) Program
For informational purposes, the county considers a Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) or a Women Business Enterprise (WBE) to be one which:
- The 51% owner must be African American, Asian American, Hispanic American, Native American, or Non-Minority female.
- The business shall be for-profit and controlled by one or more minorities /women listed above.
- The business owner shall be a resident of Shelby County and the business shall be located in Shelby County for six months prior to applying for certification.
Shelby County Government is committed to equity and inclusion in all County procurement. To help expand these programs, the Purchasing Department urges vendors seeking Locally Owned Small Businesses (LOSB) and/or Minority/Women Business Enterprises certifications to contact the Shelby County EOC office at (901) 222-1100 for further assistance.
As we move to a new millennium, Shelby County will continue to emphasize policies that foster LOSB & MWBE participation in Shelby County Government procurement by removing obstacles to their growth and by implementing the LOSB & MWBE Programs. For all of us, it is important to remember that fostering small businesses is good business in Shelby County.