Fair Housing Laws protect the housing rights of all individuals residing in Memphis and Shelby County from discrimination in the housing opportunities market
In the Sale and Rental of Housing: No one may take any of the following actions based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap :
- Refuse to rent or sell housing
- Refuse to negotiate for housing
- Make housing unavailable
- Deny a dwelling
- Set different terms, conditions or privileges for sale or rental of dwelling
- Provide different housing services or facilities
- Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale, or rental
- For profit, persuade owners to sell or rent (blockbusting) or
- Deny anyone access to or membership in a facility or service (such as a multiple listing service) related to the sale or rental of housing.
Landlords MAY NOT refuse to make reasonable accommodations in rules, practices, or services when such accommodation is necessary in order for a person with a disability to use or enjoy the housing.
A building with a "no pets" policy MUST allow tenants with a visual disability the right to keep a service animal.
An apartment that offers tenants unassigned parking MUST honor a request from tenants with a disability in mobility to have reserved parking near their dwelling if it is necessary to assure that they have access to the dwelling.
Multiple-family dwellings designed for first occupancy after March 13, 1991 MUST meet the accessibility requirements of the Fair Housing Act. For more on your Fair Housing Rights click on the following link:
Fair Housing -- It's Your Right
Additional Resources: The following links will take you to other informational sites which provide additional information on Fair Housing and Fair Housing related topics.
The Fair Housing Act
United States Department of Housing & Urban Development Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity
Memphis Area Legal Services
Bank on Memphis
Shelby County Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing
Shelby County Annual Plan
For more Information, Contact:
Mario Moton, Fair Housing Officer
Shelby County Department of Housing
1075 Mullins Station Road
Memphis, Tennessee 38134
Telephone : (901) 222-7614