Criminal Injuries Compensation
The TN Criminal Injuries Compensation Program, also known as Victims’ Compensation, is a reimbursement fund of last resort for innocent victims of violent crime that results in personal injury or death.
When a person is injured or killed in a crime in Tennessee, that victim or eligible relatives may apply to the Tennessee Criminal Injuries Compensation Program for help with certain out-of-pocket expenses associated with the injury, such as reimbursement for medical or mental health expenses, lost wages, and other possible costs associated with the crime.
The program is managed by the Tennessee Division of Claims and Risk Management, and its goal is to help ease the financial burden of costs involving injury or death when victims or family members meet certain requirements.
Eligibility for CIC Fund:
- The crime must have occurred in Tennessee *
- The victim must be an innocent victim of crime and must not have contributed to their own injury
- Must have eligible expenses related to the crime that is not covered by another source (e.g. insurance, donations)
- Must have a physical or mental injury caused by a crime
- The crime must be reported to police within 48 hours of the incident unless the victim is a minor or there is good cause for a late reporting
- Victim/claimant must be willing to prosecute and fully cooperate with the police and the prosecutor’s office
- Deposits, rent, and utility bills
- Travel to doctor appointments (emergency ambulance bill may be covered)
- Costs for identity theft, fraud, or late fees
- Lost, stolen, or damaged property (exceptions may include eyeglasses, dental devices, some medically-related devices, and prosthetics if it is clear that such items were damaged in the crime)
* If the crime happened in another state, the victim must apply in the state in which the crime occurred. CVRCC advocates can direct you to the appropriate agency.
There may be exceptions to eligibility requirements, so please call a CVRCC victim advocate to discuss your case: 901-222-3950.