The participants confirmed for the 2020 Mayor Lee Harris’ Summer Work Experience Youth will posted on this page no later than Tuesday, March 31, 2020. These names were selected in a random lottery. All youth on this list have confirmed they will be participating in the program.
In the event that a youth withdraws from the program or becomes ineligible before July 1st, 2020, we will offer that spot to the list of alternates in the order of which they are posted below. For questions, please use the "Contact" page on the main Youth Jobs page.
An HR orientation is required. Youth participants under 18 years old are required to attend HR orientation with a parent or legal guardian. A mandatory job orientation is also scheduled for April. Selected applicants who do not attend both an HR orientation and job orientation (our kickoff) will not be allowed to participate in the program.
The youth who are selected will participate in one of the following orientation dates with our HR team. You will be contacted if you should attend one and the Mayor’s team will send an email reminder a few days before your scheduled orientation.
- OPTION 1: Thursday, April 16 from 5-7 at the Benjamin Hooks Library, Conference Room C, 3030 Poplar Ave, Memphis, TN 38111
- OPTION 2: Wednesday, April 22 from 6-8 pm, at the Shelby County Government, 6465 Mullins Station Rd, training room near Shelby Farms
- OPTION 3: Monday, April 27 from 5-7 pm at the Benjamin Hooks Library, Conference Room C, 3030 Poplar Ave, Memphis, TN 38111
Required items for orientation
Youth who were selected for the Mayor’s Summer Work Experience should bring the following items to orientation:
- A parent or guardian MUST attend with you because you’re under 18 years old.
- Your state ID or a driver’s license
- Your original social security card (not a copy)
- Your bank direct deposit form and information. The account must have your name on it. If you don’t have a bank account, you’ll be issued a pay card where your paychecks will be loaded.
What if I don’t have my original social security card?
If you do not have your original social security card you will need to obtain one before orientation or you are not eligible for hire. You can go to https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/replacement-card.html to request a replacement card. Follow the instructions on the page to request the replacement as soon as possible.
If you have questions or need help understanding how to request your replacement Social Security card online, call the Social Security Administration’s toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 or visit your local Social Security office. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call the Social Security Administration’s toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.