Construction Code Enforcement

Derrick Mink, Administrator
Bobby Decker, Building Official

Safety Standards

The Department of Construction Code Enforcement is responsible for ensuring that building construction conforms to local zoning regulations and to the safety standards set forth below. The following safety standards have been adopted for use in the City of Memphis and unincorporated Shelby County, and also in the cities of Arlington, Germantown, and Lakeland:

Ordinance Number

International Building Code Local Amendments
International Existing Building Code Local Amendments
International Residential Code Local Amendments
National Electrical Code Local Amendments
International Mechanical Code Local Amendments
International Gas Code Local Amendments
International Plumbing Code Local Amendments
International Energy Conservation Code Local Amendments
*Reference Codes: American National Standard ICC A 117.1 2009 in conjuction with Chapter 11 of 2009 IBC and ANSI/ASME Elevator Code- A17.1 2010 Edition

Responsibilities & Services

The department reviews plans, issues permits, and conducts inspections of all new buildings, additions, alterations, and associated components, including plumbing, electrical, and mechanical and gas systems. It is also responsible for regulating signs, billboards, and zoning compliance in Memphis and unincorporated Shelby County. For further information access any of our department resources:


The Memphis and Shelby County Office of Construction Code Enforcement was created in 1983 as a combination of the old Memphis and Shelby County Building Departments. The following is a list of Building Officials who have served these departments.

Frank Bosak, City Building Official
William Bussjaeger, County Building Official
Christ Sanidas, County Building Official
R.T. Hughes, City and County Building Official
Allen Medlock, City and County Building Official

Bobby Decker, City and County Building Official

Rehabilitation Code

Sections of the International Building Code and International Existing Building Code many assist in the rehabilitation of older structures. View a pamphlet that summarizes these sections.

Zoning Letters

Zoning letter requests may be made through the Office of Planning and Development. See Item 6.

Zoning Changes

Requests for zoning changes, such as rezonings, Special Use Permits, variances, etc., may be made through the Office of Planning and Development. See the "Applications Forms" section of this page.

Zoning Complaints

Zoning complaints may be made through the Mayor's Action Center or by contacting Rose Hill, Signs, Zone and Special Events Manager at OCCE at 222-8374. Download this pamphlet to view common zoning violations in Memphis and Shelby County.

Permit Research

The Department of Construction Code Enforcement has two new web features available. Customers can now retrieve permit data and view Daily Permit Reports via this website.