About the Household Hazardous Waste Facility

Helping Protect Our Environment

The Memphis and Shelby County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility accepts hazardous waste materials from residential homes only (no commercial or business waste is accepted).

We are now accepting cooking oil or grease from households at our Household Hazardous Waste Facility.

Leftover Latex Paint

The number-one item collected in Memphis and Shelby County during our previous one-day annual events was latex paint. Things you can to do with your leftover latex paint are:
  • Dry it up - Simply remove the lid and place in a safe, well-ventilated area. Cans one-fourth full or less will dry in a few days. For cans with greater volume, add mulch or cat litter to dry up the paint. Once it is dry, it is okay to place in a separate bag inside your garbage. Place your empty or dried paint cans in your trash for regular collection.
  • Pass it on - Donate unopened cans of paint. Many schools and community, religious, and theater groups will accept unopened cans, especially of white paint. Even a neighbor may need some extra paint. Also, check your paint store's policy on returning unopened cans of paint.
  • Use it up - Small amounts of paint can be mixed with other colors or bulked together to be used as a primer coat or on jobs where the final finish is not critical. Avoid waste; buy only what you need. 

Contact Us

For more information, contact Hosea Houston by email or call the Recycling Hotline: (901) 222-7729